From:
david hoebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 19:57:21 -0500

Recently I applied for a life insurance policy and I listed that I had
Celiac Sprue.  They requested all my medical records from when I was
diagnosed in 1989, and after several weeks of them looking into my
"condition" I was rated a lower standard than that of a "healthy
person", which means that I would have to pay more.  Needless to say I
was upset and would not take out the policy.  I am wondering if this
has happened to any one else? Because I have Celiac Sprue they think
that my chances of getting lymphoma are greater, and that was their
reasoning for giving me a lower rating.   I do not smoke, nor do I
have any other health problems except allergies.  I have another
insurance policy which I took out about 4 years ago from another
company and they never questioned me about Celiac Sprue.  I tried to
tell my agent that as long as I stay gluten free my health risks are
no greater than that of a person who does not have it.  I am going to
look elsewhere for insurance and see what happens.  So beware when you
apply for a life insurance policy, ask them how you are rated!!!

Sincerely,
Carol Hoebel