Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 05:53:45 -0700

I had originally posted because I was researching the cause of my DH, and in light of recent postings about Smucker's, wanted to know if anyone had experienced reactions from them. Since then, my DH has cleared up. I have not eaten Smucker's lately, but I am reluctant to name it as the cause. The reason for this is because I have been eating lots of Smucker's preserves for quite awhile, and to suddenly have a reaction that very quickly clears up doesn't add up to me. I'm suspecting my cats' food. I've reacted to it in the past but being careful about washing my hands after feeding them solved the problem. I can easily believe that I have gotten a little lax on that lately. However, I still have information to share with you regarding Smucker's. (See below)

  Most people don't seem to have a problem with Smucker's jellies and jams, although I have gotten some emails reporting issues with the peanut butter. I had a couple of people tell me that they've never had a problem with Smucker's jelly's and jams. One person suspected a reaction, but it could be from the peanut butter. A fourth person had reactions and suspect Smucker's, but it doesn't seem to be a certainty. On the peanut butter side, I had one person state with certainly that they reacted to Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter:
"I just recently have been having reactions from Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter.  It took me awhile to figure it out.  But I am positive it is the peanut butter."

Several people suggested that I might be having problems with the sugar substitute. Smucker's uses Splenda in their Sugar Free line, and although some people seem to have a problem with this, I do not. I buy Splenda in bulk at Sam's and use it all the time since I must watch my blood sugar. I even had some in my tea last night.

One listmate suggested that Smucker's statement is just a CYA because according to the ingredients list, there doesn't seem to be any sources of gluten. Given the evidence posted here, I tend to agree. Another listmember said that he had never found a jelly with gluten in it. For added evidence, a third listmember sent me the following:
"Three of my kids with celiac eat Smucker's Simply Fruit in their pb&j sandwiches several times a week.  Their Ttg  levels were just reported and are normal, where less than 20 is normal, the highest was 11 and the others were 6.6 and 8.5."

  Many people are switching away from Smucker's just to be safe. Polaner's seems to be a popular brand, and it is labeled gluten free.

  Angela Taylor