From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:48:25 -0700

http://www.chreese.com/special_celiac.itml

Here’s the 2 minute microwave cornbread and cake stuff place that someone on the listserve said was WONDERFUL (?):

http://www.glutenfreesolutions.org/

My last year's post and the summary follow up from other folks, from about 8/3/2005 - 8/5/2004:

Just thought I'd write to tell you folks - I went to my local Fred Meyer (QFC and Fred Meyer are owned by Kroger out here in the Northwest) last night.  They are now stocking 3 GF Pantry "Meals in Minutes," you know, the kind of cups where you add boiling water and let it sit for several minutes, stir and eat?  I don't know if QFC has them, too.

I bought 3 flavors - I don't know how many they make - but in the past, the other companies that I've seen that made this kind of product were not GF.  I just made and am eating for lunch what they call "Hearty Chicken Primavera."  It's got quite a few meat chunks in it, and is nicely spiced.  So even though this kind of product is made with dehydrated vegetables and meat, I have to say, it's quite tasty and filling.  Even better, I can visualize keeping a stash of these in a drawer at the office and at home, for an easy meal with no prep time.

Or take them camping!  I'm thinking about some of the bike rides I've been on, where the standard fare is loads of spaghetti with rest stops for bananas and energy bars.  I'm seeing more mobility in my future - there's nothing like getting sick when there's 10 miles of pedaling between you and the next rest stop!

The other 2 flavors they had at Fred Meyer were Santa Fe Beans and Rice and Stroganoff Style Rice with Beef.

I'm so pleased to have a quick and easy convenience food available; I just wanted to let folks know.  I'm not financially related to GF Pantry in any way, I'm just a fan of their brownie and French bread mixes.

By the way, Fred Meyer also had a couple of GFP skillet mixes that I didn't buy, kind of quick and easy stovetop meal mixes.  I may have to go back and get one of each of those to try, too.

Summary list post:

The four flavors that GF Pantry Meals in Minutes (stir in hot water, wait) have are:

·          Hearty Chicken Primavera

·          Santa Fe Beans and Rice

·          Stroganoff Style Rice with Beef

·          Spicy Chicken Gumbo

(they are on sale on the web right now)

GFP skillet meals - I couldn't find the 2 that I saw at Fred Meyers on their website, but I saw maybe one, not sure if it was the same thing or not, or what the difference is between those and the next:

Also recommended by 2 folks:

GF Pantry "My Own Meals" (one person thought they were too spicy) (I believe these are more like skillet meals, not just the add water and wait type, but it looks like there are a half-dozen flavors)

A couple of raves for GFP's Danielle's Chocolate cake, brownie, and Angel Food Cake mixes and for GFP's website recipes.

Also recommended by several folks:

Thai Kitchen, GF and egg free, $1.99, add water and wait Thai Kitchen Spring Onion and Garlic and Vegetable meals (probably the same as the previous line, these are like GF ramen noodles) (some folks add a little cooked chicken or shrimp for a full meal) Thai Kitchen also has some skillet meal one pan dishes that are tasty, check their website, several are GF, but not all.

Thai Kitchen gluten free/dietary info list:

http://www.thaikitchen.com/dietaryinfo.html

They have added more instant soup and noodle products, and I like all of them that I tried.

Gluten Free Pantry is a manufacturer, and they have a website at http://www.glutenfree.com/.

I have found it easier to make my own.  I am sure there are some out there now but I gave up on looking years ago..

My boyfriend has done some extensive backpacking and has a great method that still works now that he's been recently diagnosed with celiac.  We went on our first backpacking trip post-diagnosis this past July with great success (at least with dinner.)  We use potato flakes or instant mashed potatoes as a base and mix in dried veggies and use those cup-a-soup packets for seasoning.  We cut up some GF Summer Sausage and add it to the mix.  Mix it all with some hot water and you have a very filling, hearty stew.

Quite tasty.  We're looking into trying some of that vacuum-packed chicken that

comes in a pouch (like tuna) if I can find some that I'm sure is GF.

Breakfast is still a challenge because we used to use quick-cooking oats mixed with assorted nuts, dried fruit, brown sugar and spices.  We need to find a good replacement that can be easily reconstituted with boiling water...let me know if you know of a good possibility!  I love your website, so I did a bit of extra searching with regard to your request.  I used to love backpacking -- but so long ago, before my knees and back gave out, and before my husband had a stroke.  So I got a few vicarious jollies in doing it, too. ;-)

But here's probably MORE ideas than you ever wanted!

Have a blast.  I just wish I could figure out a way to do S'mores! LOL!  The marshmallow and chocolate parts are easy, but those pesky graham crackers ... well, I found a recipe (that doesn't exactly look easy):

"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson