From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:02:27 -0700

Just as I predicted, food manufacturers would react to the new labeling laws
by "over labeling" to protect themselves from litigation.  Over labeling is
a practice of exaggerating potential risks such as: "may contain peanuts"
when it doesn't even have a trace, or "dry clean only" when an item could be
machine washed.  Over labeling protects the manufacturer from returns,
complaints, lawsuits, etc.

Now I'm seeing it in our food labeling.  For six years I've eaten Trader
Joe's sesame rice crackers without a single reaction.  Suddenly just a few
months ago, a warning appeared on the label of the crackers stating:  "Made
on equipment shared with wheat, milk and tree nuts."  I still eat the
crackers nearly every day & just as in the last five years, I've had no
reaction whatsoever.  (And I'm one of those who severely reacts to the
slightest trace of gluten.)

So for the most part, I feel like I'm right back where I was when I started
the GF diet 6 years ago: not knowing whether labeling can be trusted or not.

Valerie in Tacoma