From:
Gayle M Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 22:22:50 EST

Thanks to all who responded to my question about their experiences with
the various treatment options for hyperthyroidism caused by Graves
Disease.  As I expected, the responses only added to my confusion!
Of the 10 responses, 6 had begun with the drugs - either PTU or Tapazole.
 Four of them eventually opted for radioactive iodine treatment, either
because they didn't respond to the drugs, or because the drugs would no
longer control the disease.  One who remains on the drugs reported dosage
adjustments and bouts of hyperthyroidism.  The other person has been off
them for a year with no symptoms.

One respondent had a sub-total thyroidectomy, but eventually had the
radioactive iodine treatment (many years later).  The only side effect
was hair thinning, which may have been unrelated.  One other had surgery
as well, with no problems.

Two had the radioactive iodine as their initial treatment, and neither
reported any problems.  Of those who had the radioactive iodine after
taking the drugs, one had some initial fluctuation, but is now doing
fine, and the other developed eye problems which eventually went away
(after 7 years).

One respondent treats animals with thyroid disease with radioactive
iodine and stated that it is a safe procedure.

One respondent reported that several people have had success with
acupuncture and Chinese  herbs.

Many people reported that their thyroid gland eventually became
under-active following treatment, and they now take synthroid  None
reported any problems with it, once the appropriate dosage was found.

After reading and re-reading the literature, considering the responses I
received and giving the matter a great deal of thought, I have decided to
opt for the radioactive iodine treatment.  With 2 surgeries in the past 5
years, my Celiac Disease diagnosis 8 months ago, and now this, I am
anxious to achieve a permanent solution and feel healthy again!  I am
scheduled for the treatment Friday morning, so wish me well.  I have
great confindence in both my endocrinologist and my primary care
physician (she actually asked me to give her any pertinent literature I
ran across, and has read and responded to it!).   Again, thanks for your
help and support.

Gayle in Boise