From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:50:03 EST

                         Newsletter Roundup
                         ------------------
                        Compiled by Jim Lyles

This section contains articles and excerpts from newsletters produced
by other celiac groups.

:                                          :
:     Excerpts from _CSSG Newsletter_      :
:     -------------------------------      :
: Nov. 1999     Barbara J. Wieland, editor :
:                     5903 S. Tecumseh Rd. :
:                   Springfield, OH  45502 :
:..........................................:

Kroger GF List:  Evelyn Mefford contacted Kroger by phone, and as of
June 1999 these Kroger label items are gluten-free:

   cream cheese
   hard cheese
   yogurt without cookies
   ice cream without cookies
   sherbet without cookies
   whipped topping
   mayonnaise, regular and lite
   all gelatins
   all puddings
   all peanut butter
   milk chocolate baking chips
   peanut butter baking chips
   butterscotch baking chips
   all oils and cooking sprays
   plain potato chips
   crunchy cheese snacks (like Cheetos(tm))
   salmon
   ranch-style chip dip
   garden mixed vegetable chip dip
   fiesta chip dip
   salad dressings:  Lite French, Lite Italian, Lite Ranch, Lite 1000
      Island, Caesar, Ranch, Buttermilk, Creamy Cucumber, Italian,
      Zesty Italian, Red French, Red Wine Vinegar and Oil

:                                                         :
: Excerpts from the Greater Philadelphia CS Support Group :
: ------------------------------------------------------- :
: newsletter: Oct. 1999                Phyllis J. Brogden :
:                                        6318 Farmar Lane :
:                                    Flourtown, PA  19031 :
:.........................................................:

Touring France and the Channel Islands, by Marilyn Dommel
--------------------------------------

After spending two weeks in the Channel islands and northern France
this summer, I wanted to pass along some gluten-free (GF) travel tips
that worked for me.  A warning:  what I prefer to eat--mostly fruits
and vegetables, GF breads, and skim milk--won't satisfy every celiac.

Our tour moved fast, sometimes sleeping in a hotel only one night,
which meant I had little or no advance time to confer with chefs.  (A
quick lunch stop in a French sidewalk bistro with a harried
waitress....who doesn't speak English?  C'mon!!)  Instead of mammoth
cookie cutter, American-style hotels, we stayed at charming small
inns.

FIRST--Since the tour included breakfast and dinner at our hotel each
day, the tour director faxed copies of my GF diet ahead to each hotel
where we were to stay....months ahead of time.  Extremely helpful!!
This way, even when I had no advance time with the hotel chef, they'd
see my smiling GF face and say, "Ahh, you're the one."  Together we'd
quickly talk over the menu and they were prepared to offer me correct
food.

SECOND--Don't believe that rumor, "everyone speaks English these
days."  I found plenty of foreign shopkeepers and waiters who didn't.
If you're travelling in a foreign country and you are not fluent in
the language--refer to the back of Jax Peter Lowell's book, Against
the Grain.  She's kindly printed brief foreign language explanations
of our diet restrictions.  Find the language you require, make about
ten or twelve copies, and take these with you on your trip.  Keep
these copies handy for quick hand-outs, not buried in the back vaults
of your locked suitcase.  More on these copies later.

THIRD--Assemble, well before travel time, essential GF foods you
require to keep you alive.  Don't wait till the last minute!  Your
health food store might be out of your favorites.  My husband thought
I was crazy, packing a small box of GF food to take along.  Even the
tour director assured me that France had wonderful grocers everywhere.
But that still small voice inside (panic!!)  told me to pack some GF
food.  Sure enough, I NEVER saw one health food store in two weeks of
travel, and only one pack of GF cookies....and that was on my very
last day.  Here's a list of the food I took along.  Again, this
probably won't work for everyone, but it was perfect for me.

Food Packed for Two Weeks Foreign Travel

  * 2 rolls rice cakes
  * 2 one-gallon size zip-lock bags of my GF cereal mix (flakes,
       Arrowhead Mills puffed corn, and puffed rice)
  * 10-12 individually wrapped granola bars (I used G-Foods bars)
  * rice bran--travel can be constipating
  * 1 loaf Ener-G vacuum-sealed bread (great to open after about 4-5
       days, when my own muffins had gotten moldy)
  * 10-12 muffins (I bake my own)
  * a bag of bags:  1 one-gallon size zip-lock plastic bag filled with
       6 quart-sized zip-lock bags, plus 1 or 2 additional one-gallon
       size zip lock bags.  The smaller bags are great for carrying
       cereal to the breakfast table, or muffins/bread/rice cakes
       around in a fanny pack during day travel.

FOURTH--Be certain the airline knows you require a GF diet....either
by phoning them yourself, or having your tour director make this
request for you.  British Airways gave me a marvelous food tray on my
flights to and from London.  But, celiacs should carry GF food with
them on board anyway, in case their airline fails to process the
request.

On the actual trip, I carried a small zip-lock bag of GF cereal to
breakfast each morning.  Hotel milk and fresh fruit made the cereal
taste great.  Fruit juice and/or hot tea completed the meal.  I ran
out of cereal the last day or two, so for breakfast I spread several
rice cakes liberally with hotel jelly which filled me comfortably.

When touring during the day, I always tucked these items into my fanny
pack:  a granola bar or small bag of two rice cakes, a piece of fresh
fruit purchased at local produce stands, and a 12-ounce water bottle.
I continually refilled the water bottle throughout each day.  The
above is a great mid-morning or emergency snack.  I also carried two
muffins for lunch.  Most times I ordered some form of salad--actually
vegetable--but some salads had sliced meat, cheese, or hard-boiled
eggs in them.  The beverage was usually milk or tea.  This form of
lunch is fairly quick and easy to order, even when you don't speak the
language....and the waiter doesn't speak yours.

For dinner, if possible, scan the menu in advance at each
locale--sometimes as soon as you check in to your hotel--to avoid
last-minute fluster.  Speak with the chef, if possible, to discuss
menu ingredients.  Remember those Xerox copies of GF diet restrictions
from Against the Grain?  Write your name and hotel room number on a
copy and relay this slip to the hotel chef via the front desk.  Very
helpful, for the chef and for you.

Now....a plug for the marvelous hotel whose chef surprised me
immediately upon check-in with an exciting GF menu.  (Regrettably I've
forgotten the man's name).  GF pasta (pasta!! I was thrilled!), a
loaf of Ener-G GF bread, a special chocolate mousse made just for me,
and wonderful entrees.  I was the envy of my co-travelers.  This
gorgeous hotel, located right on the English Channel on the island of
Jersey, is called The Water's Edge Hotel.  You can fax them at 01534-
863545, or e-mail them at <[log in to unmask]>.