From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:22:25 EST

Thanks to those who responded to my questions about Tofutti cream cheese &
sour cream subs.  I received 3 responses w/ somewhat mixed results, they are
listed below.  I guess it will have to be an individual choice.  Thanks to
all Bev in Milwaukee

Rosalie (NJ) them and was told they are all are g/f & uses them all the time.

Debbie in Ontario contacted the Canadian distributor of Tofutti cream cheese
several months ago re:  Gf status.   The person she spoke with had no idea
what "gluten" was, but assured her that there was no wheat, rye, barley or
oats in this product.  He also told me that the lines are thoroughly cleaned
after every "batch" to comply with their "kosher" status.

Aviva in Chicago contacted the Tofutti company and was told when I called
that they can't guarantee there's no gluten in the products because they use
a grain alcohol in the purification process. The woman she spoke with said
that it may be burnt off, but there's no guarantee.

Michelle wrote to inquire about Abigal Neuman's on-line g.f. product list.
If you haven't seen it, check it out at--  (You might want to bookmark it.)

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-ongoing.html