From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 22:42:05 -0400

Michele Kratzmeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>...Someone suggested the Betty Crocker fruit rolls instead -- but I
>thought that the TriCounty Shoppers Guide indicated that Betty
>Crocker had no gluten free products...

Betty Crocker products are subject to cross-contamination, according
to the information we received.  In other words, all of their products
are made in an environment where wheat is prevalent, so there is a
chance of some wheat contamination getting in products which appear
to be GF if you just look at the ingredients.

Personally, I think General Mills (the parent company) is taking the
easy way out.  I suspect that some of their products are not exposed
to wheat and would be okay--but who knows which ones?  I suspect they
find it easier to just tell "fringe" groups like us that none of their
stuff can be trusted.

Anyway, if the ingredients look okay, you'll have to use your own
judgement about whether or not to use their products.  At our house
we've decided to avoid Betty Crocker products, if for no other reason
than to protest their unhelpfulness.

Contact info:  General Mills Consumer Services
               PO Box 1113
               Minneapolis, MN  55440
               (800) 967-5248
               (612) 540-2311
               (612) 540-4925 (fax)

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA