From:
Lora Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lora Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:33:47 -0500

This is the summary to my query about the relationship between ulcerative
colitis and celiac. My dad has been seeing a gastroenterologist since his
liver transplant in 1995, and recently his gastro suggested he might have
ulcerative colitis. Every year the gastro says, "Well, your colon looks a
little irritated," but has never done much more than comment on it. I guess
this is just proof that not even all gastros know their stuff when it comes
to celiac.

I asked about experiences with both illnesses, and also with misdiagnosis.
If I happen to get additional responses with new information, I'll summarize
those, as well. Many thanks to all of you who responded. ~Lora

Several people recommended that I check with Dr. Fine at Enterolab, since he
has done a lot of research on the different kinds of colitis and its
relationship to Celiac, and is an excellent resource when it comes to celiac
and other inflammatory bowel diseases. His web site is
http://www.finerhealth.com/Educational_Info/Microscopic_Colitis/.

One person recommded a DVD by Dr. Fine, which discusses the connections he
originally  found when studying microscopic colitis. His website
www.enterolab.com has the research announcement in powerpoint format under
"Research and Education".

One person suggested searching the archives for just "colitis" instead of
"ulcerative colitis."

Several people said that they had been misdiagnosed with ulcerative colitis,
and it actually ended up being celiac. Others had opposite experiences.

General comments:

Yes, I have both.Colitis does not cause ME to have diarhea, just bloody
stool, cramping  mucas, and fever. The UC was diagnosed first with treatment
not helping at all. I still have flares but now respond to Asacol and
prednisone,The GF diet was a relief after 20 years of diarhea.

My mother was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis for years. Unfortunately,
she probably had CD - had MANY other symptoms, never diagnosed, went
gradually downhill, until she died at the age of 65 and a weight of less
than 70#.  I believe that ulcerative colitis can be a symptom of CD - I
know, myself, I will get bloody stools if contaminated with gluten, and I
have seen others on this list report the same.Your father may find that if
he goes gluten free- strictly, that theulcerative colitis will heal up.
Many people also find, though, thatthey need to eliminate dairy, too.

I had bleeding from several places in my colon but no diarrhea and it was
not "IBS". Then I was diagnosed a few months later with celiacs and went GF.
After 4-5 months another scope was done and there was no trace of the
areas---Yeah!!

I am certainly no expert, however my understanding is that celiac would be
confirmed by an upper GI (EGD) scope and ulcerative colitis by a colonoscopy
where the characteristic lesions are seen.  I have heard of more people with
celiac and crohns disease together but would imagine celiac and UC could
co-exist as well. Your GI doctor should be able to guide you.

*******
*******