From:
Tara M. Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:56:35 -0500

Thank you to everyone that responded to my question.  It is comforting
knowing that many others feel the same and understand.  I came home from
work tonight and had received 76 e-mails.  It took me two hours to go
through them and I have received lots of very helpful information.  Here is
what most of you have said in regards to what works best to help prevent
and/or tolerate:

1.  Many of you recommend NOT to use any type of gel or tartar control
toothpaste.

2.  Natural Rembrandt toothpaste works best.

3.  Avoid toothpaste's that have sodium lauryl sulfate (sp?) as an
ingredient.

4.  Some rinse with (DO NOT SWALLOW), peroxide.  This helps keep the mouth
very clean.  Rinse two to three times per day.

5.  Some use a rinse called Glyoxide  for both preventative means and when
you are having sores (ulcers) in the mouth.

6.  If you use salt, make sure it is "withOUT" iodine.

7.  On a regular basis take 500 to 1000 mg. of the vitamin called Lysine.
Lysine is a free form amino acid.  This works well to prevent cold sores as
well.

8.  Try to eat plain Dannon vanilla yogurt.  Not only does yogurt have
acidophilus (sp?) in it, it has active cultures in it which help your
stomach.

9.  Take acidophilus by itself for the same benefit.  It helps protect the
inner lining of your intestines.

10.  NO CITRIC ACID

11.  Be sure to keep up with your vitamins on a consistent basis.
Especially your B's, they are very important to celiacs.

12.  Stay away from acidic drinks/foods such as coffee, tea, fruit juices,
soda, tomatoes, ketchup, etc...

13.  Try to exercise or find a way to reduce your daily stress/anxiety.

14.  Get rest, chances are your body is run down and has not been cared for
properly.

15.  Last, but certainly not least, be sure, to the absolute best of your
ability that you have not accidentally ingested any gluten.

Once again thank you, all of you that responded.  I really appreciate your
helpful sugg. and or recommendations.  God Bless, Tara