From:
Elaine Mathews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 15:39:01 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update you on the condition of a little girl that has
osteopenia and juvenile dermatomyositis.  She was dx. celiac using Dr.
Fine's testing.  Her two sisters were also diagnosed celiac.  Their
grandmother had dermatomyositis.  The little girl was in a wheelchair.  I
just heard she is now riding a tricycle.  I helped get her diagnosed by my
postings on the Myositis bulletin board.

I too was diagnosed with dermatomyositis six years after being on the
gluten free diet.  Well I know I was getting some hidden gluten.

I want everyone to be aware of any muscle weakness, tingling burning
sensations in muscles, rashes, difficulty from getting up from a sitting
position, falling, difficulty from getting off the floor, muscle pain,
neuropathy, troubl e breathing, chest pain, difficulty in swallowing, to
see a rheumatologist or a neurologist who knows about myositis.  Dr.
Fine helped me discover celiac disease and dermatomyositis are of the
same gene.  If you would like to see Dr. Fine's testing (a simple stool
test that is more accurate than blood tests) presented at the Atlanta
conference of 14,000 gastroenterologists on May 20 like I would, then I
would suggest you contact Dr. Fasano and express your thoughts.  Dr.
Fine can even test for the celiac gene.  Wouldn't you agree that these
doctors should be made aware of this "new" stool testing.

Elaine