From:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 14:46:30 -0700

Dear Listmates -
I don't think I've seen these two possible complications of Celiac Disease mentioned
on our list before. I mention them here in the hopes of helping others.

I ended up at Mayo Clinic (Minnesota) to have highly specialized testing done. I have
been gluten-free thirteen years and was having some odd problems, including a change
in bowel habits and lots of gas.

I was given a 24-hour transit test - where you eat a plate of radioactive eggs (I am not
joking) and stand between two scanner plates (like xray plates) once every two hours
to see where the eggs are, then come back the next morning for a final 2-minute scan.

This showed I have a digestive motility problem, where my stomach empties too fast and
my intestines move food along too slowly. This is from Celiac Disease damaging the transit
signals over time. My system doesn't know what to do with a large meal anymore.

The only treatment is to eat smaller, more frequent meals. Meaning eat half your lunch or
supper and save the rest for awhile later. Also don't drink huge amounts of water at once.
Less at any one time.

The second problem, diagnosed during colonoscopy, is called, I think, lymphocytic colitis
...or is that leucocytic? Not sure. Anyway, it is caused by Celiac Disease and is mild. If it
were not mild, I would have the trots, and I'm allergic to medications for the trots, so I'm
lucky it is mild.

I didn't know Celiac Disease could cause either of these problems.
Has anyone else encountered this?

Vicki in Illinois