From:
Rose Apter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:38:46 -0500

I was first diagnosed with colitis (spastic colon, irritable bowel
syndrome) as a teenager.  I learned to live with the condition
although it limited my life in many ways and cost me a marriage. I
developed a dread of going out because if I had to use the bathroom,
it smelled so bad, I was ashamed.  I thought that everyone with IBS
had this problem.

About fifteen years ago, I began to think that something was
terribly wrong with my health but I could not get a Dr. to agree with
me.  I would describe my symptoms, they would say let's test for
thyroid disease but all my blood work was normal.  I finally started
thinking autoimmune disease and found an endo willing to test for
it...turned out I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  Treatment for this
did not improve the fatigue, joint pain, depression, mental fog so I
started looking for something else.

I ventured into the non-traditional medicine world and went on an
anti-candida diet for over a year...this diet is essentially a celiac
diet although my Dr. did allow wheat pasta.  Surprise, surprise, my
IBS cleared up significantly.  Then I went to an acupuncturist and he
looked at the rash on my body and said give up all wheat.  That's when
I began to suspect celiac disease, especially since the Mayo Clinic
indicated a correlation between Hashimotos and CD.

I went to gastroenterologist who claimed to specialize in gastric
diseases after I first called his office and asked if they were
familiar with CD, he ran a reticulin Antibodies IGA, endomysial
Antibodies IGA and Gliadin Antibodies IGG and IGA.  I had told him
that I was wheat free for two months and wheat reduced for over a year
and he told me that was irrelevant that the antibodies would show up
if I was celiac. My results were negative.  He told me that I did not
have CD but might be allergic to wheat.   From reading the list, it
sounds like he is wrong.   I would prefer to avoid a gluten
challenge...is it too late for a biopsy to show damage?   Is there a
Doctor in the Northern Virginia, D.C. area who is really
knowledgeable?

My other concern is that my antibody test revealed that my
Complement C'3 and Complement C'4 were twice normal levels.  These can
be elevated because of the presence of antibodies but they are also a
marker for intestinal cancer...according to my research ... as the Dr.
said he didn't know why the lab included these results or what they
meant...and he's an immunologist.

I guess you can see why I don't have much faith in doctors..they been
pretty useless to me.  Any help would be appreciated.  I feel as
though I am unable to make a decision about what to do next while at
the same time I have a nagging fear I should be doing something
soon...Rose