From:
Kimberly Hedstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kimberly Hedstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:32:08 -0800

Here is the summary of Austin area restaurants - sorry it's so late as we visited last month!  We did get some baked goods from Wildwood - all were great.  We also visited the flagship Whole Foods - awesome!  Had a great trip.
Thanks for all your help!
Kim

*****

The Wildwood Art cafe, 3663 Bee Caves Road, Augsitn 78746 (512/327-9660) is a great place for a gluten-free lunch!
I have eaten there.  They have good breads, cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. to eat there and buy to take with you!
Enjoy!

I suggest you call the chapter leader in Austin (Francie Kelley) for more information about restaurants. Go to our chapter website (www.houstonceliacs.org) and scroll down to Texas Support Group, double-click and find the Austin group under Alamo Celiac.

*****'

Central Market and Whole Foods are the places to shop for GF foods, and you can eat there. Whole Foods Market is downtown on 5th street and Central Market is in North Austin and in South Austin-South Austin will be closer to you if you are in the Bastrop area.  The Outback restaurant is always a good choice because of their dedication to GF prep. for the customers. There are many good Mexican places in Austin, but I cannot vouch for how well they serve GF meals.

*****'

There are two women, Meagan and Katie McGovern who make gourmet
quality, ready made, GF (and/o rCF) meals to order in Austin.  The
quality is outstanding and they will work with you on your menu.  I
highly recommend them.

You can reach them at [log in to unmask] or 512-433-9642

*****

A few hints on eating Mexican.  Genuine Mexican restaurants typically due GF quite well.  Corn tortillas will be made from corn and not a corn/wheat flour combination.  And food will be prepared fresh so modifications are easy.  But chain, fast food and TEX-MEX are harder.  Also Mexican restaurants tend to use a lot of soy sauce in marinades.  So, know what your meat was marinated in or avoid marinated meats altogether.  This is especially true for fajitas.  A friend of mine who moved recently spent 5 years looking for GF fajitas and never found them.

Our group site is www.alamoceliac.org.  Once you are on this site you can click on defensive dining and restaurants in various parts of central Texas will be listed.  Also, you can log onto www.popartsplace.con/Celiac.  This lists restaurants where our members have had positive experiences.