Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

Change CD and DH from diseases to illnesses?

It was hoped that a massive publicity campaign might get the federal
government to make changes in our food supply and eliminate CD and DH
suffering. Possibly, the eradication of CD and DH.

I have found, after doing much investigating, that the only hope we have of
getting any changes made in our food supply, is by having celiac disease and
the related disease dermatitis herpetiformis reclassified.  They should not
be called diseases, but illnesses brought about by an affliction.

As long CD and DH are considered diseases or allergies,  the FDA, the agency
responsible for making the changes needed, can not act. This is in accordance
to the rules and regulations set forth for them. However, the FDA may be
petitioned for a hearing to take action on matters and conditions dealing
with the food supply if they are not related to diseases and allergies. The
petition may be made by a group or an individual. Once the petition is filed,
then a massive letter writing campaign to them, and  to politicians would
have great impact on a positive decision.

_Webster's New World Dictionary_ states the definition of poison to be a
substance which in small quantities can cause illness or death. Using the the
definition from the dictionary, celiacs patients, dermatitis herpetiformis
patients, and many undiagnosed individuals are being poisoned by a protein
found in our basic food supply. A proomlamine-rich protein called gliadin in
wheat. Analogous proteins exist in the grains of rye, barley, oats, and
several less used grains.

To get the solutions we are seeking , we must first get the above message to
doctors, celiac associations, and medical research centers at the
universities.  The medical profession must change their diagnosis of CD and
DH.  We must get everyone thinking and talking about CD and DH patients as
having an affliction brought about by a toxin in our basic food supply.
Celiac patients and Dermatitis Herpetiformis patients must be considered as
individuals that have been stricken by a poison.

Thanks to all who responded and wanted to get an action group started.

The FDA procedures may be found on the web:  http://vm.cfsan.fda/gov/

Your comments and opoinions would be appreciated.

Bill Vellios Sr.
St.Louis, MO