From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:49:29 -0400

I got a few answers about eating GF in Portugal. It sounds like it
won't be too hard. Lots of grilled meats and seafood.

Silvia kindly sent me this site. It's mostly in Portuguese but
there's also English, French and German tourist info there along with
a restaurant card in Portuguese..
  http://7mares.terravista.pt/apdig/

Other comments included:

we traveled to Portugal a year and a half ago. We took the Gluten free alert
in Portuguese from the Archives and had no problem with any of the meals and
we traveled the length and breadth of Portugal for 21 days. Though be sure
that you take care and double check with the person in charge and present
them with the notice personally.

Please see:
<http://coeliac.info/suppboard/viewtopic.php?t=432>http://coeliac.info/suppboard/viewtopic.php?t=432
Hope you have a great time, It's a lovely place.

I spent some time in Madeira.  I stayed with Portuguese friends who speak
English so they were able to interpret for me when we ate out. I had no
problems the entire time and we ate out a lot.  The servers were very
courteous and helpful.  The hardest part for me was declining the wonderful
pastries and cakes.  Certainly did enjoy the coffees and wines, however.

A real life saver for me was a health food store in Funchal; I believe the
name of it is Logos or something similar.

I don't know about Portugal, but we were in Spaiin on Costa del Sol a
few years ago and I found the Mediterranean diet extremely gluten
friendly.  It is all fresh vegetables and wine and oil and vinegar.
I would imagine Portugal would be similar.  Just use your own common
sense.

Thanks all
Richard