From:
Debra Boutin-Grad Student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 06:12:09 -0400

An article in the Ithaca Journal, June 7th, states that Cornell scientists
have successfully geneticially engineered a "super rice" using genes from
potatoes and BARLEY!!!!!  The idea is that after getting genes from barley,
the rice produces a PROTEIN that makes it resistant to drought and salty
soil.  At the moment, they've genetically engineered two kinds of rice, one
with the potato gene (pest resistant) and one with the barely gene.  In the
future they hope to combine these to get a rice that would grow well in
countrie with poor conditions.  It seems that it will probably take years
to hit the market, but I'm really concerned.  My understanding is that at
this time, sellers of geneteically engineered products do not have to label
these products as such.  I can easily imagine a time in the future when we
cannot go to the grocery store and buy rice with any assurance that it is
just rice (as we think of it now), where every packet of rice flour will be
in question, where every gluten free product made with rice (how many are not?)
will be a possible threat to us.

It would be silly to expect scientists to stop genetically engineering to
produce better crops.  Maybe we should start now to get labeling laws in
place.

I'm bringing this up for general discussion.  When I read the article I was
angry and scared, but I don't know of a good way to proceed.  Please, let's
discuss this on the list and see if we can come up with some ideas on how
to handle this issue.

Debra L. Boutin
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY