From:
Tabitha Blackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:45:06 -0500

Hi!  I need some assistance.  I've been eating at my local thai restaurant
for a while now and I am concerned that it may not be gf.  The first time I
went into the restaurant, I showed the manager some information about celiac
and people's experiences at thai restaurants.  He looked over the info
briefly and told me no wheat.  I believe that I am mostly asymptomatic, so I
wouldn't know if I was ingesting gluten.  For the first few times I ate
there, the manager would say no wheat.  I felt pretty comfortable.  I
usually get steamed chicken and vegetables with peanut sauce,which I think
they make there. He told me what was in it, it sounded relatively safe
(peanuts, coconut milk, sugar, etc...)  The last time I was in there I felt
unsure.  I asked him if they use flour - he said nothing like that.  What
about corn starch - no.  They must be using a thickener, right?  I asked
about the flour again - he laughed.  He said, "We don't use anything with
sunflower seeds or anything like that."  Aarrgghhh!

Can someone help me with a restaurant card that he can understand?  He
writes and speaks Thai.  There is a language barrier, preventing us from
communicating well.  This has become our favorite restaurant.  Thanks!