From:
Katie Bratland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katie Bratland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:35:34 -0500

8.	I receive the low gluten hosts several times a week.  I bought my own
pyx, and order the low gluten hosts from the Benedictine nuns.  I keep the
hosts in the freezer at home.  I take one out of the freezer before mass and
break it into 1/4 of a piece or smaller, put it in my own pyx, and take it
to Mass.  The priest have me put my pyx on top of their chalice( that has
the square flat top over it) before Mass starts, and the altar servers take
it to the altar as it is on top of the chalice at the appropriate time. The
priest places my pyx on the altar. The priest consecrates the low gluten
host. Then when I stand in his line to receive, he hands me my pyx, I step
to the side of him, and I open it and take the host myself.  Thus far, I do
not seem to have any problems with this method.  - Colleen

9.	I'm not from your area but I do use the low gluten host in our catholic
church in the south. I wrap mine in saran or cling wrap and as I enter into
the church each Sunday, I place it in the bowl with the rest of the hosts
which is brought down to the altar during Mass. The Priest takes it out and
places it on the altar while he is blessing the hosts then returns it to the
bowl when he gives out communion still wrapped. The Friars preferred to do
it that way to make it easier. It is never unwrapped until I do it.  I have
not experienced any ill affects for the low gluten host. – Nancy

10.	Sisters of benedictine have a low gluten host and we bring it to mass as
needed and our priest keeps it separate and gives to my daughter when she
goes up to receive. Hope this helps. – Kristin

11.	I order the low gluten host from the Benedictine Sisters in Clyde, Mo. I
get a little package from the sisters and keep them in my freezer. Each
Sunday I place one in my pix and place it in the bowl with the rest of the
host that they take to the altar. Then when I get up to altar I just say
(the pix) to the priest and he says body of Christ just like he says to
everyone. no one touches it. It stays in the pix.  . He gives it to me, pix
and host inside.  If you have any more questions feel free to email me.    JoAnn

12.	We don't live in the Twin Cities area, but we do receive the low gluten
host at Catholic Mass. For the parish we usually attend, I've spoken to the
priest about it a number of times, and he understands the issue well. I make
sure we arrive early for Mass, and let the priest know we wish to receive
Eucharist. We have our own pyx, and I give that to the person setting up the
altar (usually one of the Sisters, who also know us) and they place it on
the altar before Mass.  At Communion time, we make sure we are in the
priest's line, and the priest, who knows us by sight, will get the pyx from
the altar, open it, and we (son and self) each take out a Host. It's pretty
discrete, and really doesn't need to be a "big deal" - although some
busybodies try to make it one!  - Maureen

13.	I receive the low gluten host at my Catholic church on east coast
(Maryland).  I put my host in my own pyx (about $10 - $15) and it is placed
on top of the chalice(sp).  I am handed my pyx when I come up for communion.

14.	I don't live in your area (I'm in Oklahoma).  They handle it this way:
The celiac patient brings their own host in a pix (which can be bought at
most Catholic book and gift stores), places the pix in the container (I
don't know the name, but where people add a host as they walk in) at the
back of the church. It is brought up with the rest of the gifts and is
consecrated with the rest of the hosts. The priest knows what this is for,
of course, and knows the two or three individuals who use it. The priest
holds onto the pix in the communion line until the owner comes up. The
celiac patient knows to go to the priest and not another Eucharistic
Minister. The pix is given to the owner as if it were any other host, then
the celaic patient open the pix, takes out the host, and recieves, taking
the pix with them. Once the patient puts the host in the pix at home, it is
not opened until the patient opens it themselves in the communion line, to
best avoid cross-contamination. - Angela Taylor

15.	It was suggested we buy a pyx (small, metal case sold in religious
stores, etc. to carry a few hosts.  These are used by priests, special
ministers of the eucharist, etc. to homes, hospitals, etc.)  The pyx will
fit in your pocket or purse.  Place one, or enough hosts within for your
family. At church, the closed pyx can be placed in the ciborium or on the
altar so the hosts can be consecrated along with everyone else’s. The priest
must be made aware of the pyx and who is to receive the hosts within.  Some
priests prefer to have the celiacs come to the side of the altar at the time
the special ministers do and receive then, and others ask them to receive on
the usual communion line (this is more "tricky" as the people must know
which priest has the pyx in his pocket and he must know who will be
receiving from the pyx).  Personally, I have found this did not always work
as well as approaching the altar and then reminding the priest that you will
receive from the special pyx.  Really, this works pretty smoothly once it is
worked out---it is sometimes a bit more difficult when there are visiting
priests and they must be clued in before the mass and sometimes reminded
again at communion time.  Some churches designate a particular special
minister to be responsible for this. – Carol

16.	I don't live in the Twin City area but about 50 miles northwest of
Chicago.  We get our GF hosts from a convent in Kentucky (I think)  When our
church asked if anyone was interested in receiving the GF host to come to a
meeting, five of us showed up.  Statistically, there should be 35-40. – Virginia

17.	I would go to the sacristy before mass to request it, and they would let
me know which eucharistic minister would have it. They would put in a small
plastic bag and keep it to the side of the plate. – Kathleen