From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2009 09:08:48 -0400

Dear List,

I've just discovered

Petit Cafe
70 Greenwich Avenue (between 7th Ave. and Perry Street)

If you don't live in New York, you might want to file this info away
against the next time you visit and are walking around in the West
Village.

The menu includes gluten-free cookies (oatmeal & chocolate/walnut, for
instance), a gluten-free soup, gluten-free bread as an option for any
of the sandwiches AND the french toast is made ONLY with gluten-free
bread, so the griddle stays gluten-free!

Young Jason, whose place this is, seems to know his stuff. His mother
has celiac. Understands about cross-contamination, and knows that some
celiacs will be wary because he sells gluten items as well as gluten-
free. But he walked me through the precautions he uses for gluten-free
sandwich-making and I gotta say, it sounds right to me.

Caveat: this is no bargain joint. Sandwiches run around $8 or $9. But
it's been years since I've bought a sandwich, so maybe those prices
aren't so out of line with current reality. However, the lunch combo
at $9 sounds reasonable—reasonable for New York, anyway: pick 2 of 3:
1/2 sandwich, small salad, small soup; comes with sun chips, fruit or
bottled water.

For me, quick take-out food is the hardest gap to fill in my post-
celiac diet so I'm especially happy to have found Petit Cafe.

The usual disclaimer applies: I have no vested interest in or
connection w. the place.

cheers on this gorgeous spring week-end -
Mary B.
NYC

*******
*******