Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:43:56 -0500

I'm currently in-hospital stay at UPMC and have run across something that needs attention asap!

We all know how we get when we are told - we can't take care if you - and I'm
In this zone right now.

They have a gluten free menu - which they guarantee the items to be gluten free-which I attached! A copy of menu is attached!!   However, i was told they can NOT get a salad or vegetables or even grapes without them telling me there could be cross contamination!!    They only have ONE kitchen and will NOT guarantee cross contamination of a regular salad - or plain chicken - plain salmon but also grapes??

I had the question thrown in my face - well what do you do when you go out to eat??

I'm appalled that this is coming from nutrition department about gluten free at Shadyside  Hospital.

I'm suppose to eat 6 small meals a day - can you imagine if I would eat 6 meals off the GF menu?? The menu is great for occasional indulgences - but it's a hospital that should be serving   NATURALLY gluten free foods to their patients - especially ones that just had major life changing issues.

I have been gluten free for 7 years, celiac and also had cancer in 2006.

Please your thoughts about this and also understanding for me as I just went through some major life changes yet again with my health.

<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>> *Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CELIAC List* Archives are at: Http://Listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?LIST=CELIAC