From:
Annmaureen Surra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 11:01:54 -0400

N>Right on, Oldenburg. Most of the airlines have (mediocre) fruit plates
N>that will at least stave off starvation. Pre-sprue diagnosis, I thought
N>it was discourteous and unrealistic for people with special diet needs to
N>expect that the world would make special arranagements on their account;
N>post-sprue, I feel the same way. It would be nice if the rest of the world
N>would arrange things so as to elimnate the considerable inconveniences of
N>this diet, but c'mon. Accurate and comprehenvisve labelling is a much more
N>important issue, and one that impacts a significant % of the population.

I spent many years not expecting any consideration from the world. I was
raised to be humble. However, My junk mail and other factors manifest
that the world thinks I should spend time, money, and energy in
consideration of other humans' shortcomings. Heart, cancer, diabetes,
arthritis, and some neurological diseases were just part of this week's
requests for "consideration".

One day, it occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, I was worthy of some
thought from the world. I think food ingredient labelling is of primary
importance. It would also be nice if we could have some social
interaction without fear of being poisoned. Restaurants still want to be
paid, whether we can eat the food or not. Airlines don't give us a
discount for doing without.

I consider Celiac Disease to be debilitating. I fast from lunchtime on,
if I have an evening meeting. It is thought for myself,of course. I also
don't want to foist a nasty physical reaction I might have, to the sight
and concern of my cohorts. I think that is enough consideration on my
part.I don't expect any action from them! I have paid toward "coffee and
doughnut" for many morning activities where I have not looked at the
pastries. Celiac children cannot have school luncheons, yet, their
parents are supposed to have consideration for the other children. C"mon,
let's start to sound off and be recognized. <[log in to unmask]> AMS