From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:26:02 -0700

Listmates,

I found out fairly recently that I have CD (about 6 months ago) and still have
many problems when I think I'm eating GF.  I have a few questions that you
more experienced celiacs can probably answer.

1.  Chocolate.  Is gluten a regular ingredient in chocolate?  I cut all
chocolate out, but some "GF" recipes I have read called for chocolate chips.
What about Hershey's chocolate kisses?

2.  Spices.  I know that some spices may be contaminated with wheat used to
prevent caking and to improve "flow", but how do I know?  If there is no
ingredients list, does that mean there's nothing in the jar but pure spice?
Or do I call each maker individually?  And if the wheat is just sprinkled
on or something, would the customer service people even be aware of the fact
that they're using wheat?

I'm overwhelmed still with all the things about which I need to be suspicious.

Thanks for all the interesting facts I've already learned from you all!

Christie in Phoenix