From:
ROGER DOMYAHN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ROGER DOMYAHN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:03:13 -0600

Below is a summary of  "Sources for GF food in New Zealand & Australia".  Special thanks to everyone who responded. Due to the many positive responses, my wife & will be spending a month building Habitat for Humanity homes in New Zealand .  Roger from N.Dak
------------
------------
    Go, Go , Go! to NZ  Finding gf food was quite
easy. Most supermarkets have gf food and the restaurants we went to
were also quite savvy and hip to gluten free. There is a bakery in
Auckland, Marx Bakery. they make not only sweet items , but also savory
too meat pies and sausage pies. They were distributing them around the north island.
     Their are many celiacs in NZ.
----------------------
----------------------
From Wikicities -  "Links to restaurant lists, outside North America"
-  lists sites in Australia
http://celiac.wikicities.com/wiki/Main_Page#to_print_out<http://celiac.wikicities.com/wiki/Main_Page#to_print_out>
Do a google search using  Coeliac New Zealand  -and you'll get lots of
links (not all are good)
check Clan Thompsons links for  "Where to Eat in Australia and New
Zealand"   http://www.clanthompson.com/life_travel_whereeat_aussie.php3<http://www.clanthompson.com/life_travel_whereeat_aussie.php3>
Barb (gf since 1981)
--------------
--------------
    For starters, go to the New Zealand Manufactured Food Database and click on
'Gluten Free'. The database lists many of the gluten-free products available
in NZ.  http://www.mfd.co.nz/<http://www.mfd.co.nz/>
    The definition of 'gluten-free' in both NZ and Australia is 'no detectable
gluten' and 'no oats or malt', a good rigorous definition.
    Furthermore, all manufactured products must state on their labels if they
contain certain ingredients including wheat or gluten. Thus one can quickly
check whether a product is 'safe' or not regardless of the database
information. ( Mind you, I use the database! )
------------------
------------------
Just about every food store in New Zealand carries gluten free food. And
most of it is made in Australia. You should not have a problem finding what
to eat.
---------------
---------------
    You should not have any difficulties finding gluten free food here in
New Zealand.  Most supermarkets either have a gluten free section or
else carry gluten free products alongside their "normal" counterparts.
A number of bakeries carry gluten free products as well.  Our food labeling requirements
mean that products containing gluten should have their ingredients
listed.
    If you are planning to eat out, most restaurants have a good
understanding of CD and the requirements for gluten free meals.  Where
you might find difficulty perhaps is if the restaurant staff do not
speak English very well.  Generally I have no difficulty eating out at
most places, but I tend not to go to Chinese, Indian or other ethnic
restaurants unless I have checked them out beforehand and am sure that
they understand what is required.
---------------
---------------
 My husband and I visited New Zealand and Australia for a month in
2000. I had no trouble finding places to eat gluten free. In fact, Australia
is way ahead of the USA in understanding Celiac Disease.  When in New
Zealand, I would try the Huka Lodge, just inside of the rain forest. They
prepared gluten free meals for me every day.
No problem in Australia either.
--------------
--------------
Orgran, one of the world's leading producers of wf/gf food is based in
Australia, and is readily available in the supermarkets there.   I believe
Orgran is readily available in New Zealand supermarkets as well.
www.orgran.com<http://www.orgran.com/>
--------------
--------------
For starters, go to the New Zealand Manufactured Food Database and click on
'Gluten Free'. The database lists many of the gluten-free products available
in NZ.
http://www.mfd.co.nz/<http://www.mfd.co.nz/>
--------------
--------------
Just about every food store in New Zealand carries gluten free food. And
most of it is made in Australia. You should not have a problem finding what
to eat.
--------------
--------------
Below is a link to my web-site which has international links.  You might find
something or a contact here .. see the link in the upper corner too.  Good luck...
http://www.charlotte-celiac-connection.org/International_Support_Groups.html<http://www.charlotte-celiac-connection.org/International_Support_Groups.html>
    I think you'll find it no problem eating in Australia.  If you are planning to
be in Melbourne, I highly recommend seeking out the Silly Yak Cafe.
  Australians seem to understand what Celiac is, and
most restaurants are helpful in finding something for you to eat.
Just avoid the burgers.  We couldn't find a single one (except at
McDonalds) that was GF!!  Many McDonalds, btw, have little pastry
shops attached to them and each one offers several GF items!!  Too
bad this hasn't caught on here in the US.