From:
Jacqui Lunchick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:17:07 -0500

My son, Max, was diagnosed with celiac disease 4 months ago after a 5
day hospital stay with severe dehydration and lethargy.  His health has
improved remarkably since he started the GF diet and he seems like any
normal 18 month year old, but he continues to have diarrhea.  (it isn't
yellow like it was pre-diagnosis, but pretty loose).  I'm looking for
parents of other celiac babies or young children who can tell me their
experiences.  I've read Danna Korn's book which is wonderful but doesn't
really focus on the early healing days.  My pediatric GI first thought
it must be gluten sneaking in, which it could be if indeed crumbs from
the floor accidentally get into him while he plays (we don't have a GF
household), but I try so hard to be vigilant about his foods. Now my GI
says I should have Max tested for allergies to other foods.  What are
other people's experiences?  Should I chalk up the diarrhea to just part
of the healing process or do as much detective work as possible to try
and discover what is causing the diarrhea?  Has anyone had good success
to allergy testing thier very young children?  Does anyone have a child
that was allergic to things like soy or eggs for a short time and then
was able to tolerate them?  I so badly want to believe that gluten is
Max's only bane, but I don't want to be a neglectful parent.
Thanks for any input.  Happy Thanksgiving. (My mother made an awesome
all GF dinner.)