From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2012 19:09:04 -0400

When my husband had shoulder surgery a few months ago, and was told he absolutely can't take NSAIDs (history of ulcers), the nurse told him to eat tumeric in cooking.  I don't know about you, but I never cooked with it before.  I use a lot of ground pepper, which is also an anti-inflammatory, but I guess not enough to cure our aches and pains.

Tonight I experimented. Really, I have no idea how I came up with the combination.  I bought the tumeric on purpose, but the other stuff, I had from other recipes.  (Please note... I did NOT add salt.   I prefer to use as little salt as possible.)

In a small bowl, I gave two very stingy shakes of
tumeric
ginger
ground cumin
chili powder

To that I added a generous shake of
fresh ground pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
paprika

Mixed well.

I then spread this over (and patted) a pound of fresh Atlantic salmon that was already in its baking dish.  There was enough to see the spices across the top, but NOT to blacken the fish. You still saw fish.  It wasn't a heavy coating.  I then dotted the fish with a few small pieces of butter. (I usually use olive oil, but didn't want the spices to run off.)

I then did my usual baking of the fish for about 25 minutes at 350.  Because I was dealing with other dishes, I let it sit a few more minutes in the oven, which was turned off.  You don't want to dry out the fish.

My husband and I agreed.  You knew the fish had a new flavor...and cried out for a squeeze of lemon juice.  But you couldn't figure out what it was.  It was really delicious.

I'm betting this would work very well on skinless chicken breasts.

(For those who saw my other email about the noodle kugel.  I also made kasha with onions.  I'm normally on a low carb diet, so the kasha balanced out the kugel.  Honestly, you get tired of broccoli and potatoes every night!   I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's leftovers.)

Lin
*******
*******