From:
Sylvia Smolorz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:31:50 -0500

Hello everybody,

a couple of recently diagnosed adults have been writing about how difficult
it is to change your diet. That is true, but looking back after 9 GF years,
here's my advice:

Expand your food choices! It is true, a lot of the replacement food doesn't
taste as good, so if you keep asking for bread, you'll always mourn the
loss of wheat. However, as Patrick pointed out " there's just so
much more out there to eat.  And for the most part, it tastes pretty good."
There is a lot of very tasty food out there, that you've probably never
tried, and neither has your family. So buy cookbooks of the non-traditional
kind, explore the cuisine of other countries, and in the end you'll find
that you're enjoying your food much more than before. That's what happened
to me. When I actually have gluten free bread or buns, I have to think long
and hard to remember what to do with that. Bread is actually really boring
food. I have found good recipes for a few originally wheat containing
things, and I just won't eat anything that tastes bad, gluten free or not.
Admittedly, this kind of change won't happen over night, but if you don't
concentrate on replicas of your old food choices, but explore new ones,
you'll come out without a feeling of deprivation.
All the best,

Sylvia in Ithaca, NY