From:
marsha sanderlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
marsha sanderlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:38:24 -0500

To the listserv, thank you to all who responded. Here are the responses:

I tried it and didn't care for it, but last time this question came up,
the majority of people liked it.  I didn't think it contained products
that were commonly carried in my store.  I was spending too much time
looking in it for products I saw in the store and never finding any of
them.  And it's not convenient to just page through.  You have to watch
because it lists stuff that is not gf, you have to check right hand
columns to double check.

I have the Palm version of this list and it is helpful.  The Palm
version
gives you both the list on your desktop/laptop and on your Palm.  Having
the
Palm is definitely helpful while shoppping.  The list could be more
comprehensive, but it's still useful and worth the cost.

I have the palm version of Clan Thompson.  I love it.  I use it all the
time.  I know that it does not contain all of the "main stream" gluten
free foods but it helps if your in a pinch and don't know what is ok.  I
also have the drug version also.  Helps when your sick with otc as well
as prescription meds.

I bought the computer vesion of Thompson Clan smart list and it is
suppose to have more listings than the palm version. I was desperate in
the beginning to find food I could eat. I don't think the list is very
good and would suggest going to delphi forums.com because they have a
more complete listing of foods and it is free. I also like the idea of
celiacs helping other celiacs and not having everything for profit. We
need on the sharing and help from one another we can get because it is
so hard to be gluten free.

I went through the same questions as you when I bought my Palm Pilot two
years ago.  I decided against Clan Thompson, only for the reason of cost
and then upgrade costs each year.   As with any list, it cannot be so
complete as to include every single item out there.  They are regional
(located in Maine) and even though they do their very best, they cannot
cover every local brand we have in our areas, etc. For me, the answer
was to go to the internet (delphi, etc) and find lists located there.
Some are kept up to date reasonably well.  But as with anything, you
always need to be vigilant for changes in labeling. I would just
highlight each list, copy and paste to my palm software.  I didn't need
any type of special programs for the software.  I just went under memo
and put them in there.   I love that thing!!   It is with me everywhere
I go.  When I see someone list a restaurant and their GF foods, I copy
it into my palm for when I eat out.   It is just awesome and has been
enough for me. Even with those lists, I still don't have EVERYTHING in
the world in there and never will, but it gets me by!!     And it
doesn't cost me a thing!!!

I have the Clan Thompson program for Palm with the update subscription.
I am very happy with it. It is by no means a complete list, and I wish
it was broken into sections (it is just a single continuous list which
makes it hard to scroll through - but it is searchable), but it is much
better than nothing! As for the pocket guide, I am not sure what you are
referring to.
In addition to the Clan Thompson list, I have digitized a huge list from
the University of Iowa into Word format as well as our local grocery
chain
(Hi-Vee) produces a GF list of their store brands in Word format. I have
loaded both of these onto my Palm and between them and the Thompson
list, my Palm is all I have to take with to the grocery store!Although
the Thompson list is a little spendy, I decided that this diet was
difficult enough and if I could find anything to make it easier, I would
spend the money! I have not regretted it.

Marsha Sanderlin