From:
Beth Armour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beth Armour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:56:36 -0400

BlankNormally I limit my posts to the much appreciated first-of-the-month
opportunity to post an ad. The recent post reminding us of yet another
program that those in the gluten-free food industry can participate in has
prompted me to respond.

Let me begin by saying that I generally respect the work that is done by the
many organizations around the world who are working to educate and support
those people who need information about the gluten-free diet and reliable
sources of gluten-free foods when eating at home and when eating away from
home.

As a producer of gluten-free oats we are certainly sensitive to the need for
clear labeling of gluten-free products and the need for education of
consumers to the content of gluten-free products. Recognizable symbols /
logos are a good way to show a product’s qualities – gluten-free,
whole-grain, heart-smart, organic etc. Many gluten-free food products could
have some of these other symbols in addition to a gluten-free symbol / logo
on their label but …..

How many symbols / logos / programs do we need to indicate that a product is
gluten-free? Currently there are at least 4 in North America that our
company could apply for and put on our product - is that helping or
hindering the consumer reading the label? Which one do we choose, which one
has more meaning for the consumer? Are we undermining consumer confidence in
all support organizations by having competing symbols / logos? For each
program there are also costs to the gluten-free food producer for the right
to use these symbols / logos on their label. The reality is these costs are
usually passed along to the consumer in the price of the gluten-free
product. The more symbols / logos the more costs added to the product price.

Are we really working in the best interest of our consumers who require a
gluten-free food product? At a time when gluten-free labeling standards in
North America may finally be aligning (i.e. <20ppm) and gluten testing is
getting better, don’t we have the opportunity and the means to develop a
single identifiable standard?  Too bad we can’t work together and have one
symbol / logo, recognized by all, which would make things a lot easier for
the consumer and the gluten-free food producer. We should agree on what we
can agree on and move on to the work of helping our celiac community.

Beth Armour

Co-President

Cream Hill Estates