From:
Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 07:12:25 -0800

I've been meaning to write this for a couple of weeks, but after
visiting the allergist I was so depressed I didn't
know what to say.  You guys at the list have been life savers.  I've
been sick for so long I was beginning to believe I'd never feel
healthy.  After going on a GF diet for a little over two months my
symptoms have been gradually resolving, and I've felt better than I
have in 15 years.  So, armed with a print out of e-mail info I
decided to see an allergist.

Gawd, what a terrible mistake.

After reading all the good information from the list, I thought things
would be different this time.  I assumed I
would be treated with care and compassion.  When the allergist looked
at my file and said, "I see you're diagnosed with Panic disorder" my
heart fell.  "Perhaps you were having a panic attack when you ate
breakfast."  I told him that since I'd been eating GF I had only
experienced rapid or irregular heart beat after eating certain things,
and that I knew the difference between panic and allergy.  In the end
he ordered an Anti-Gliadin AB panel.  My results were within the
normal range.  I know this because he wrote me a note telling me the
same, taking care to boldly underline the fact that I do not show
allergy to the substances for which I was tested.

That same day (after two months of being GF) I ate two small pieces of
tempura batter fried fish (I eat cod and I'm not allergic to glutin
right?) and promptly became violently ill.  While at the restaurant my
stomach became so distended my husband commented on it.  I developed
such severe stomach cramps we had to go straight home.  Thank god we
got there before the diarrhea started.  Later that afternoon my heart
rate went up to an irregular 130 beats per minute and stayed there for
about three days.  This time I DIDN'T go to the hospital.  No
way was I going listen to some doctor tell me I was having a
hysterical reaction to holiday stress.  I don't understand why doctors
have so much difficulty accepting the fact that I might have food
allergies?  Also, I defy any sane person to remain peaceful and calm
while experiencing explosive diarrhea and a heartbeat of 120 or above.
At the very least I'm tired of all the jokes about how much I used to
belch or pass gas before I was GF.  Why should any human being be
forced to endure such humiliating cruelty?

Thanks for listening

Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit

Simplify your holiday shopping...
Visit our partners for great holiday gifts.
http://www.netzero.net/etoys
http://www.netzero.net/amazon