From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 07:59:45 EDT

Yesterday, John G. Sanders <[log in to unmask]> write ...

> ...and what is the story with that beer question?  I came in in
> the middle of that dialogue.  What a treat a Sam Adams would be!

There was extensive discussion about beer in prior months, including excellent
posts by Don Kasarda and Paul Shattock about the distillation process.  The
short answer is that this is a complex question, with some disagreement about
results.  Most celiac groups recommend avoiding beer.

To recover these posts, anyone can send an email to [log in to unmask]
(not to the celiac address!) with the body

//Scan JOB Echo=Yes
DATABASE SEARCH DD=Data
//Data DD *
search beer in celiac from 95/01/01 to 96/02/01
print
/*

The above search format can be modified to search for other topics, of course.
There are 5,000 posts in the archives!  We recommend that you try a search
before asking a question which is likely to have been covered in the past.
Often you can get multiple, detailed replies, covering aspects of your question
which you may not have thought of.

The listserv recognizes basic boolean logic, such as

search (beer or wine but not cognac) in celiac

If you omit the dates, the entire archives will be searched.  Usually, I search
everything, although the listserv will halt its work if some maximum time
and/or lineage is reached.  For those who really want to get to the bottom of
an issue, I recommend downloading the entire archives to your own hard drive.
Then you can use the search function of your word processor to search without
internet delays, without time/lineage limits, and without tying up the listserv
at St. Johns.  Send me a private email, and I will show you how (or re-read the
Welcome Message, which has the commands)

Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Los Angeles