From:
sarah letard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
sarah letard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:40:54 -0800

I got many great suggestions.  I wanted to make a cake using GF Pantry Scone and Muffin mix, because that is what I had on hand.  Unfortunately, most of the suggestions involved ordering some other mix.  hehehe  I am not sure that anyone really likes the mix I had!  Anyhow, I sort of winged a version of the muffin recipe on the bag, into a cake recipe, made two layers, put blackberry jam between them, and used lots of buttercream frosting on top.  It came out pretty well- fortunately, 4 year olds are not very fussy!

I also have included a few recipes that people sent me, that I didn't use because I didn't want to try to figure out how to make them on such short notice, and take the chance of screwing up.  But they all sound very tasty!.

Anyhow, I will try to sum up the suggestions I got:

Look on the Gluten Free Pantry web site, thay have lots of recpies.  (OK why didn't I think of this one myself?????????????????)

One person sent me these related threads from Delphi Forums
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/find/findRedir.asp?webtag=celiac&mg=C5AB4427-E48E-4C0F-9E03-52B13CEBF2D1
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=36676.1
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=35322.1
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=32464.1
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=39172.1
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=37127.1
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=39163.1

Several people suggested just using a regular recipe and subbing cornstarch for wheat flour, cup for cup.

One person said to make sure to add a little pudding mix to the cake to keep it moist

Here are some other mixes that people suggested
chocolate cake mix from GF Pantry
"Cause you're Special " "moist yellow cake mix" at stores like Healthway
https://www.reallygreatfoods.com/catalog/     golden cake mix.
www.authenticfoods.com
www.dowdandrogers.com

I also got 4 recipes (listed below), one for a Pinapple cake, one for Carrot Cake, one for yellow cupcakes, and one for a white sheet cake.  I think all the recipes sound great!

***************

Pineapple Velvet Cake

(for Birthday Layer Cakes)

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and rice flour a 9x13 pan or 2- 9”rounds.

Blend together:

2-1/4 cups gf flour mix (Bette Hagman’s)

3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp salt

In a large bowl beat together:

4 eggs

1-2/3 cups sugar

1 cup canola oil

1 tsp vanilla

Add flour mixture, alternating with:

1 cup pineapple juice

Beat well.  Bake 25-30 minutes for cake, or 15 minutes for cupcakes (or until a tester comes out dry).

*************

Gluten-Free Cupcakes
Makes 16
Kids and adults alike with love these yellow cupcakes with yummy raspberry frosting.
11/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
11/2 cups sugar
11/2 cups rice flour
1 cups potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 TB + 1 tsp baking powder
11/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
1 cup milk
21/4 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, on medium speed, cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy (2–3 minutes). Combine dry ingredients in one large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
Add, alternately, the wet and dry ingredients, scraping down the bowl sides with a spatula and mixing well to thoroughly combine ingredients.
Fill cupcake tins two thirds full, and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
When cool, cupcakes can be removed from pan and frosted.
Raspberry Frosting
16 oz confectioner's sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 TB milk
2–4 TB raspberry purée*
Combine the powdered sugar and the butter in the mixer bowl on low speed. Scrape down bowl sides with a spatula, and add the milk. Continue mixing, adding puree to taste. (More milk and/or purée can be added as desired, to achieve the frosting consistency you prefer).
*Thaw the contents of one (12 oz) bag of frozen raspberries; when the berries are completely softened, strain through a fine sieve to retrieve the purée, without seeds. Extra purée (and frosting) can be frozen for future use.

*********************

White Texas Sheet Cake
1 c butter or margarine
1 c water
2 c gf flour mix
2 c sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c sour cream
1 tsp almond
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp xanthan gum

In large saucepan, bring butter & water to boil. Remove from
heat; wisk in remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour into
greased 15x10  baking pan. (I have also used smaller pan).
Bake at 375 for 20-22 min until cake is golden brown and tests
done. Cool for 20 min.

***************

Frosting:

1/2 c butter
1/4 c milk
4 1/2 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond
1 c chopped walnuts (optional)

Combine milk and butter in  saucepan and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat. Add sugar and almond. Mix well. Spread
over warm cake.

*********************

Carrot Cake

1 1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
 cup potato starch
1 tsp guar or xanthan gum
2 tsp. baking soda
3 T. ground flax seed
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg

2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup apple sauce
1 1/2 cup maple syrup
3 c shredded carrots
1 c crushed pineapple, drained (hold onto this juice, and see if
it is needed in the batter once it is all mixed. If not, drink
it or use it in a shake)
1 cup raisins