From:
Sheryl Sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 21:56:21 EST

Hi Listmates:

Are there any other celiacs 'out there' who have had their colon, [ : ]
removed?

My husband is the celiac in our family - it was triggered after surgery last
summer.

The surgery was a total colectomy with pull through operation, not an ostomy.
This means his reaction to gluten is a little different from those of you
WITH colons.  For example, when he gets diarrhea, it burns like the dickens.

So - our question is this - if anyone out there is missing their colon, has
celiac-sprue and has burning diarrhea....can they recommend any treatment for
it?

Please, please, please...don't tell us to avoid gluten!  We do our level
best, really!  Also, this particular reaction occurs for non-gluten reasons,
too.  For example, some acidic foods like tomato juice or sauce or anything
spicy can set him off, too.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Sheryl
Dundas, (near Hamilton), Ontario CANADA