From:
Kathy Hubbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:08:24 EST

What I asked:

>>Say what?  Feeling like a fool here; where exactly can vitamin E come
from?<<

And:

>>After a trip to the emergency room I checked with my MSG contact.
Apparently "starch" contains glutamines which are created in processing. It
is my extreme misfortune to be sensitive to the minute amounts of glutamine
in "starch", which figures into many GF recipes.......<<

About a dozen replied, merely, :-) :

<<Wheat germ.>>

(Thankfully, nobody added "you geek!")
Some others of interest...........

*************************

<<Many commercial vitamin E oils come from soy (cheaper to produce than
wheat germ oil--another source of vit E).

Bert's Bees makes nice lip balms that are GF.  (Spoke face to face with
a customer service person from Bert's this last week.  Confirmed!!).
Their lipsticks and gloss pots are GF, too.>>

**************************************

Vitamin E is present in ( and can be isolated from ) oils (natural oils)
such as ***wheat-germ oil, soybean oil,  and others.  They prefer to use
whatever's cheapest on the market, hence 'wheat-germ' - and then they can
claim ("all-natural!!" and "good for you!!" and keep prices low.

very few react to Xanthan gum unless they eat a great deal of it,
but watch for guar gum, a cheaper replacement for xanthan. Guar gum is an
ingredient in many laxatives and if you eat much it can cause diarrhea.

I would suggest you to go to this other good site:

http://forums.delphi.com/n/main.asp?webtag=celiac&nav=messages

guar gum instead of xanthan gum which is a corn derivitive and fermented with
aspergillus mold.

***************

In Australia there is no difference ( in labelling ) between safe starch and
gluten laden, sable protein" this is guaranteed to be a problem.  I don,t
eat anything that is thickened just to be safe.

*******

but vitamin E can come from wheat germ. You don't want natural vit. E, but
rather synthetic, which doesn't come from wheat germ.

use regular unflavoured gelatine to replace xanthan gum - 2:1.  So if a
recipe calls for, 1 tsp.  Xanthan gum, you add 2 tsp.  gelatine.  (but add
the gelatine to the wet ingredients and mix it in, just before adding the
dry - otherwise it doesn't mix in smoothly).

I use guar gum in all receipes that call for xanthan gum.

The only problem you may have with guar gum is it is sold as a laxative and
could have you cleaning out your system a little to soon.  So if you do use
guar gum go slowing as in don't down the whole muffin receipe at one
sitting.

*******

Thank you to all who replied!

Kathy