From:
"Sandra G. Ackerman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:20:54 EDT

This item has been determined to be gluten-free.  Following are the replies I
received:

(1)  My belief is that it is GF, because I have eaten catfish fried with it
as a coating, and experienced no gluten reaction at all, after not eating
fried fish for over 4 years.

(2)  I eat it all the time and love it!!!  In the south, it is very common to
find corn flour/corn meal breading since it is the traditional method of
coating catfish and oysters.  Lots of brands in Louisiana where Zatariains if
from  On the other hand, Luzianne brand has wheat flour.

(3)  I use it all the time for breading fish and eggplant.  It is delicious
and I have had no gluten reactions and I am fairly sensitive.

(4)  I've used that corn flour from Zatarain before.  No bad reactions, but
I'm not very sensitive with small amounts.  Good for coating scallops.

(5)  I live in New Orleans where Zatarain is located so I called the company
today and spoke with George Bigner who is the technical director.  He said,
"The corn flour or cornmeal has no contact with wheat gluten."  Company phone
1-504-367-2950