From:
Philip Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 11:42:17 -0500

Summary #4: United Airlines

Summary made by Margareta Morrison

I have checked the definition of the ADA with the office of the United
States Attorney in Massachusetts. This was after he went to court in a case
against the owners of a movie theater company who had not provided for
seating in the stadium type of seating in a theater for a person in a
wheelchair. He won the case. He said that he thought we would come under
the ADA.

The procedure is to file with the United States Attorney in the state in
which an action took place. It needs to be a specific instance about a
specific company. I have wondered about how one goes about interesting a
lawyer in a class action suite when it is a company like United which
crosses state lines. I will check it out and get back to the list.  Irma
in Mass Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>

(Regarding the message above from Irma. A class action suite against
Prudential crossed the state lines. Margareta Morrison)

I also sent them an e-mail. Checked with British Airways they will honor
Celiacs, just have to let them know 24-36 hours before the flight and they
will check on the menu to see what you can eat and what you cannot eat.
Still trying to find out if Northwest are able to accommodate us.  Rita
Gamela, Rita L" <[log in to unmask]>

(We have flown BA in the past but since they reduced a number of cities
thet were serving we had to find another airline. Margareta Morrison).

I am a celiac, I work for American Airlines and am good friends with the
gentleman who is in charge of our food and beverage program for our
flights.  I was a consultant to the gf menu selection we offer.  We do
offer gf meals and are not planning on cutting them out.  And best of all,
we do fly from California to Texas.

Each meal is boarded by separate staff at each airport and mistakes can
happen..."to err is human" but we do try to serve our celiac passengers
better than most.

Betty/Fort Worth, TX
"Betty Barfield" <[log in to unmask]>

I am surprised that none of the responses have suggested that this is an
example of not being united and not having a single representative speak
for celiacs.  When one person says that you have to wash down the wall and
clean the whole kitchen and another says no vinegar, and still another has
a different request, what can the airlines do? I would not mind a
standardized meal that satisfied everyone.  There are so many snacks that
are safe.

There are several frozen meals that are safe.  Peanuts are peanuts and that
is that.  Diabetics can eat all food and just have to watch sugar and
calories.  We all know how difficult it is to be sure you are gluten free.
"rhale" <[log in to unmask]>