Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 00:18:02 EST

Dear Listmates,
     It is always wonderful to welcome new members to a support group
where new ideas are shared! Last summer one of our members volunteered to
be responsible for organizing different groups with-in the organization
who were interested in basically doing a "pot luck" dinner at each others
homes in small groups. Unfortunately there was not a great response, but
we had our first "Dinner For Eight" last summer at her house with
spouses. It was a friendly, low key event where all folks involved were
happy to find out they shared many things in common. The hostess provided
a main dish and rice and the rest of us brought dessert, salad and
vegetable.
     I didn't want this to die off, so while a graduate college student
was home for the holidays, I continued with "Dinner For Nine". I tend to
go  somewhat overboard and spent days preparing ahead, having more food
than necessary, but it was all greatly appreciated. We had a lovely
evening with the following menu: sweet and sour meatballs, spinach
squares, and hot spiced wine to start out; Korean Barbequed Beef (Bul
Kogi), spiced pilaf with apricots and raisins, plain white rice, peach
jello mold, chocolate roll with whipped cream, and home made chocolate
"Turtles" and coffee. The guests brought: frozen garden corn, Tapioca
home made rolls, Waldorf salad, and a white cake with whipped cream and
frozen garden strawberries.
     We gorged ourselves and many compliments were made about what a
lovely evening we had. I hope someone else picks this up in a few months
and continues...just an idea for the rest of you. Everyone was stunned
with the hors d'ouvres being safe and gluten-free.It's nice to socialize
and not be concerned and tense about every morsel you put in your
mouth.When several people get together it really isn't difficult to
insure a relaxed atmosphere; forget the calories!

Lynn Samuel