From:
kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:34:17 -0700

Dear Friends,
Here are some more helpful responses. This first one makes me wonder how many people out there who are sensitive to chemicals really need to get off gluten...

This e-mail list is such a wonderful resource!

Mary
California

1) Hi Mary

I get what you describe also. Back before I knew I was Celiac and ate a high
grain intake diet I had bladder control problems all the time. I've been GF
for about 9 months now and bladder control has come right back to normal.
It's amazing how many different body systems gluten will affect in us. I had
to actually think about this one to remember back that I used to barely make
it to the bathroom before, and had almost no sensations I had to go until it
was overwhelming back when I ate those nasty grains.

There's another thing I remember I had major problems with, and that was
sinus allergies and asthma like symptoms. Seemed like I was hyper sensitive
to smells of chemicals as I recall. I remember taking showers and having
major problems smelling soaps and shampoos. I would almost go into asthma
attacks and my sinuses would clog up immediately, making it very difficult
to breathe. A few times I thought I was going to have to call 911 during
showers. I had to keep windows open and fans going in the bathroom just to
make it through the shower, and had to make an effort to not inhale the
fumes from the soap and shampoo. It seems odd now that I think back on this,
as since I have been GF I haven't had any problems with sinuses or the
asthma like attacks, and have no problems now when I smell soap or shampoo,
and can even shower with the window mostly closed and have no problems at
all now. Interesting huh?

Regards,
J.
California

2) Mary, I'm not the one in the family with celiac but dairy causes an
incontinence problem with me.  It has cleared up somewhat but I still avoid
large amoutns of dairy.
C. (female)
 MA

3)Thanks for the idea!
I am an officially undx'd celiac.  I don't do gluten, buckwheat, soy,
canola, milk, etc.
At times I have difficulty with bladder control.  I'll watch to see if it
might be related to something I have eaten.
E. in KS (female)

4) I have not been diagnosed as celiac.  However, I do get that immediate/uncontrollable urge to urinate after eating certain foods.  Just one tiny crumb of bread at communion can trigger it.

5) caffeine is a biggy and citrus fruits