Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 16:59:37 -0800

Hi guys,
This seems to be a hot topic and I have had two rounds of it in the last
few weeks. I am one of those who the longer I stay on the diet the worse
any small amount of gluten affects me. I have a little remedy that I
discovered quite by accident. If I get gluten by mistake and I have a
small glass of white wine it seems to make the major symptoms go away, at
least the nausea and feeling really bad. I don't have a clue why this
works and it isn't a four hour solution, it actually seems to make the
symptoms go away within an hour or two permanently instead of 3 days. The
funny part
is that I have been a teetotaler all of my life and my sister recommended
that I try a small amount of white wine because it helped with bladder
infections for her and before I went GF I was getting those all of the time.
This is most certainly not medical information so please take it with a
grain of salt. I have never had hard liquor so I can't speak to that as a
remedy. It astonishes me how well it works. The only problem is that I
tend to get migraines from any amount of wine so it's a trade off. I can
feel sick and nauseous and dizzy for 2-3 days from gluten or get a mild
migraine (occasionally) from the wine for a few hours. White wine is not
supposed to be a migraine trigger but there you are.  It takes as little
as a quarter of a glass of white wine to stop the sympoms dead. I know I
had gluten recently because I was so sick and I have the twinges of a
bladder infection starting-it's like clockwork: gluten=bladder synptoms
(it must be an irritant all the way through).

I got plenty of private
mail when I asked about gluten attacks and my symptoms of nausea,
dizziness, fatigue, and feeling extremely crabby are not totaly
idiosycratic. I also learned that reactions can be extremely varied so
take this summary also with care to refer it to your own situation.
If you try this remedy and it works for you please post to the group if
you feel comfortable. I think it might help others but I am darned if I
know why it works for me.
Good luck if it works for you because there is nothing worse than being in
the grips of an out of control gluten ingestion attack, if any of the
cel-pros have a take on this I would be most interested as I know nothing
about alcohol and don't know why this helps me,
Thanks for the ear,
Lisa P