From:
Barbara O'Marra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 17:22:56 EDT

Thank you for your responses.

I started having symptoms again but cannot find the source, so I had asked
about trying to determine who to see for further food issues, an allergist or
a nutritionist.  Here are the reponses I received:

2 people suggested seeing an allergy dr for allergies, (one said go on to
nutritionist if further problems)

1 person said I may have leaky gut and the fact that I am not healed, or that
I am eating iffy foods; and that in NY a chiropractor is also a nutritionist
and that they do muscle testing: Also referred to an elimination diet: stay
off a food group for a week, don't eat it in any shape or form and then on an
empty stomach, take your pulse and record it, then eat the food you've
eliminated, wait 30, 60, 90 min & take pulse: Any rise above ten percent
indicates a food allergy: Once you know your groups then you can muscle test
for the ind. foods.  This is interesting! Also suggested Vetratrum ALB 30C
when I have an attack.

2 other people suggested an elimination diet.

2 others said allergists are worthless for intolerances - that they are
helpful for allergies, not intolerances. (ie asthma, rashes, congestion,
etc). (One said see a nutritionist or a holistic dr).

The rest suggested the blood test ELISA and RAST - the ELISA IgG for food
sensitivities and the ELISA IgA for allergies.  These can be done through a
naturopath.  The RAST, one person believes is supposed to be revised and more
accurate.

I hope I included everybody's responses.  I have contacted my physician to
see if he can draw the blood to have the ELISA and or RAST -  I have also
spoken to a nutritionist who can do the muscle testing if I like.  I'm going
to start with the bloodwork; I do plan to see the nutritionist should I have
further intolerances.

I believe that the elimination diet, doing it on your own and monitoring how
you feel after adding each food back into your diet is an excellent idea - I
have heard of it before, but it seems so time consuming - I don't feel like I
have the time or patience right now to do it!!

Thank you all so much for your time in responding to my questions.

Barb