From:
Eliyanah Delicate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:18:52 -0400

I think there is on other aspect of Ayn's post that we have been
neglecting. She had the biopsy for celiac disease, and it came back
negative. I am also in this situation. It really does make it harder on
our friends and family, because there is no 'proof' that this is what we
need.

Without this proof, we are often percieved as creating trouble, of seeking
attention, or of refusing to face the fact that we don't 'actually' have
this disease. For us, it is a lie to say, "I have celiac disease. In
order to live and stay healthy, I must follow this diet." There are other
things we can say, and personally I have been very lucky in my friends,
family and partner. They see that I am doing much better, and for this
they are grateful. But I also see the doubt in my grandmother that a
few wheat crumbs could make me ill. And they never cease to wonder, "what
the 'real' problem is". How can I blame them? I wonder the same thing.

All this to say, socially, in our society which is based so much on
science and the Western medical model, it is very difficult to
restrictively follow a diet which makes us feel much better, but for which
there is no PROOF of it's necessity. I think that those of us in this
situation do face a slightly different social task than those with a
confirmed diagnosis of CD.

These differnces in labelling can make a difference in friendships. As
such it is another facet to consider in this discussion of the
ramifications of following a gf diet.

Take care all,
        Eliyanah Delicate
        Ottawa, Canada

--
Coming to you live from Where The Wild Things Are
-A division of the Eliyanah Delicate Update News Service