From:
Judy Lay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:57:13 +0100

This w/e someone offered my husband some japanese crackers which had been
bought at a health food shop and the staff had said they were gluten-free.
I looked at the packet afterwards, they were made in Japan and the
ingredients were brown rice flour, sesame seeds and tamari (or tumari). I
then read the french translation and saw words that looked like soy sauce. I
recalled various postings on this list about soy sauce and that only certain
makes were GF so I was a bit worried - but he'd already eaten 2 or 3 of them
so it was too late this time!

I'm not sure if it was the crackers or IBS that caused Peter's upset stomach
this morning.

Does anyone happen to know what tamari (or tumari) might be? Is it a variety
of soy sauce? Unfortunately Peter liked the crackers but I won't be buying
any if there is any doubt about their GF status.
TIA
Judy Lay, near Oxford, UK