From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:23:09 -0500

And there's more....

I make my own bread using the sorghum flour.  I have potato starch but it
seemed to make stuff so heavy, that I stopped  using it. I most likely was
using it wrong.
************************

 The best gluten free flour mix to replace wheat flour is a mixture of
flours.
  I experimented for a couple of years before I hit on this mixture:

3 parts cornstarch
3 parts tapioca starch
1 part chick pea flour
1 part beans r' us flour
1 part sorghum flour

  I get all of these flours from the Gluten Free Pantry.  Also, freshness
with these flours is important as I've noticed they go rancid with age.
 Almost all the rice flour I bought before getting it at the Gluten Free
Pantry had an off taste due to being rancid.
*********************

Best of luck with your baking,
I use sorghum thinned 7 parts to 1 with arrowroot as a replacement for rice
flour in all sorts of recipes.  I continue to mix the flour with tapioca and
potato starch.  The best recipes I have found are those in Carol Fenster's
Special Diet Solutions.  Foolproof, delicious, wonderful texture, etc. etc.
I buy sorghum in 25 lb tubs from Twin Valley Mills - all they do is sorghum.
Love it.
************************
I have found a terrific blend that I like to use. It is called Montina
Blend. It is available through Amazing Grains in Montana. You can locate
them at www.montina.com

I made a fabulous banana bread and crusts for pumpkin and apple pie by
substituting the Montina Blend for the other flours in my standard recipes
and adding a little xanthan gum.

Some of our local health food stores carry this blend.

I know this does not answer your question on sorghum flour, but I want to
share that oftentimes, you cannot do a direct substitution with only one
flour. It takes a blend of the GF flours to get a good product. I wish you
good luck in your baking.
*****************************
Sorgham flour has a strange taste if you use it by itself. Brown rice flour
is gritty so I mix my own mixture and also use yam starch from the Asian market.
****************
We find that the recipes that use sorghum in combination with other flours
(brown rice, pea or bean) have the best flavor and texture.
You may be interested in trying a recipe with these combinations.  Visit our
site, www.bestbreadrecipes.com/glutenfree.htm
try the Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe which is the cover photo of our recipe
book "125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes" (Robert Rose Inc.) 2003. Our book
contains a selection of Christmas cookie favorites.
***********************
 If you don't want to mix around with flours, I suggest you try Bob's
Red Mill  GF Mix.  It has sorghum listed first, and can be bought in
many stores, even regular ones.
*******************
I personally don't care for tapioca flour & started experimenting
with sorghum flour. I use it as my primary flour now, in conjunction
with corn starch & some sticky rice flour. My drop cookies
(chocolate chip, etc) come out as if they were made from wheat flour.
No one can tell the difference. Just follow the recipe on the chip bag
substituting sorghum/cornstarch & a bit of sticky rice flour. I
found that you have to add a bit more flour than regular wheat flour to
get the same dough consistancy. I haven't tried rolled cookies yet, but
cookie press cookies work pretty good too.

I know you're suppose to add xanthum gum, & I usually do, but I've
also forgotten & could'nt tell.
I use the sorghum flour in Bette Hagman's recipes with the Bean flours. I
don't care for the texture of rice flours at all.
Use sorgham only for replacement of some of the other flours. It is too
gritty to use for the whole recipe.