From:
Richard Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:45:22 -0400

Thanks to those of you who answered my question.  I asked: Is it true (as I believe I have learned) that a normal stool is solid and sinks and that if the stool floats there is still a problem with my digestion?  I am trying to figure out whether I still have to worry that something is wrong or whether I just have a "new normal."  (I have been having diarrhea since April after being strictly GF and healthy for 6 years.)

Answers are below, broken down into their 4 categories.

Richard Paul
Washington, DC
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT

My stools always float.  Doctor says not to give it a thought.
-----------------------------
Floating stools are merely caused by what you've been eating.  Fibrous matter will have more air in it and cause the stool to float.  Meat or heavier foods will weigh your stool down more.  Do not worry, the variation is normal!  If you have more carbs in your stool, it will always float.
-------------------------------
When I took a course in Aesthetics, the teacher told us that stools should float if you are healthy and sink if there is too much fat in the diet.
-------------------------------
My experience is that a regular MD will tell you your stool should sink.  However if you go to an alternative doctor or chinese physician, they will tell you they should float and not have any odor. I know when I'm healthy, mine will float.  When my allergies or intolerance are bothering me, they sink.
++++++++++++++++++
IT MEANS YOU'RE MALABSORBING
As I understand it, stools that float signify fat malabsorption.
---------------------------------
This is common for Celiacs.  It is an indication that you are not absorbing fats.
---------------------------------
Normal stools should sink . Floaters mean that you have too much fat in your stools, presumably that you are malabsorbing.
-----------------------------------
Yes, if your stool floats, it has too much fat in it and is a problem with digestion
------------------------------------
It usually relates to how much fat is in your stool. More fats make stools float. For Celiacs, it can be a sign of intestinal damage that is causing malabsorption of fats, or if it's temporary, it could be due to an increase in fats in in the diet
----------------------------------
There would be only two common reasons why your stools float in water, fat content and air. Dietry fats not broken down in the process of digestion will float.
++++++++++++++++++++++
IT MEANS YOU'RE MALABSORBING - GO SEE A DOCTOR

Floating stools, aka "fatty stool", is a symptom of not being able to digest fat.  Wwhy this should be happening after 6 years of health and gluten-free eating, I don't know. But it is something to check out.
------------------------------
Ask your doctor about a fecal fat test. I am a health professional Floating stool sometimes means you are not properly digesting the fats in your diet.
-----------------------------
One of the thoughts is that floating stool float because they have more air or gas in them or because they have a higher fat content.If they are pale or clay colored and floating this suggests fat malabsorption; your doctor could prob do a fecal fat test to see if you have fat in your stool, although if you had signfiicant malabsorption you would likely be having diarrhea like stool in terms of consistency.
-----------------------------
Not normal. See a good doc...
When I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance this was one of my symptoms. It is undigested fats (fat floats). You should tell your medical practitioner that you have developed this.
Floating stool is indicative of fatty stool.  It's worth mentioning to your GI doctor.
THIS WEBSITE HAS A LOT OF DETAILS ABOUT WHAT'S NORMAL AND WHAT'S NOT

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/gettingdiagnosed/a/stools.htm

http://www.continence.org.au/site/index.cfm?display=112715#BristolStoolChart

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003128.htm