From:
"Ronald Hoggan, Queen Elizabeth High School" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 20:58:30 -0700

Hi Ms. Wenzel,
I don't recall anyone saying that gliadins were the sole cause of atheroscler-
osis. I do, however, recall suggesting that gluten may be a contributing
factor. In Tortor & anagnostakos' PRINCIPLES OF ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY, 6th ed.
Harper & Row, New York, page 596, it states:
"As blood levels of HDL increase, the risk of coronary artery disease
decreases."

Now, if you will look at Vuoristo et. al. they say, in part:
"The present results show that cholesterol absorption , cholesterol synthesis,
hepatic B/E receptor activity, and LDL apo B transport rate are closely
associated with each other and that their levels can change markedly with no
detectable change in serum levels of LDL cholesterol or apo B."

Earlier in the same abstract, it says:
Of plasma total and lipoprotein cholesterol levels, only plasma high-density
lipoprotein (HDL) was enhanced by the GFD proportionately to cholesterol
absorption."

Unless there is something new out there to contradict these assertions, I
cannot see how the idea that gliadins might well be a large contributing
causitive factor in many cases of atherosclerosis.

I would welcome further discussion of the matter.
Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan

Sources:
Vuoristo, et. al. "Metabolism of Cholesterol and Apolipoprotein B in Celiac
Disease"  METABOLISM, vol. 42, No.11, pages 1386-1391, 1993.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ PRINCIPLES OF ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY, Harper & Row, New York,
1990