From:
Nancy Lilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:46:10 -0700

Re/rice noodles, also tofu, also soba noodles - these are items that one
would assume would be GF, but I have found through my favorite Chinese
market that many rice noodles (the fresh, soft ones that look so yummy)
contain wheat starch.  If eating in an Asian restaurant, it's best to see
if they made the noodles themselves and can tell you if they're GF.  If
not, they would need to check the ingredients list.

I had a delicious eggplant curry at a good Thai restaurant.  The
owner/chef assured me that I could eat the tofu, and I must say that I
really enjoyed it.  I assumed that my reaction over the next 48 hours was
from something else.  When I was at my Chinese Mkt again looking at all the
varieties of tofu in the case, I spotted this particular kind - it
contained wheat flour. Most tofu is GF, thank goodness.

Soba noodles are buckwheat, but frequently contain wheat also.  There are
some that are pure buckwheat that can be found in small Japanese mkts., and
at Wild Oats Mkt. if you are in an area that has W.O. (Colorado, New
Mexico,California,
and ?).