From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:08:00 EDT

Good Morning List Mates.

I have still to receive three of my messages that I sent out previously. I
thought the messages might be helpful for some people when writing to their
congress persons. I am resending them this morning. This is part of my
original Part 3 post.

Sorry if there is any confusion.

I am sharing the following information from Andrea Slevario <
[log in to unmask] (ASL)> that was sent to the List and/or to me personally.

Subj:    More on Writing to Congress
Date: 6/24/01 7:10:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time

The Committee in the House of Representatives which has jurisdiction over
food labeling issues is the Energy and Commerce Committee. The first
hearings, to the extent we can get them, will take place in the Health
Subcommittee.

So, it is important that members of that Subcommittee, particularly the
Health Subcommittee, hear about our issue.

Because the House of Representatives is currently controlled by Republicans
(mere truth, no commentary), they will dictate whether the food labeling bill
is ever given a hearing.  If you have a Republican representative on either
the Full or Health Subcommittee, your voice REALLY needs to be heard.

Also, be sure to send copies of any letters to the Ranking Member, Sherrod
Brown.  He can help pressure the majority for hearings.

Note too, that Rep. Waxman of California, while no longer on the Health
Subcommittee, was instrumental in getting the first food labelling bill
enacted.  Wouldn't hurt to let him know your views as well.

The members of the Health Subcommittee are listed below.

Republicans
Michael Bilirakis, Florida, Chairman
Joe Barton, Texas
Fred Upton, Michigan
James C. Greenwood, Pennsylvania
Nathan Deal, Georgia
Richard Burr, North Carolina
Ed Whitfield, Kentucky
Greg Ganske, Iowa
Charlie Norwood, Georgia
Barbara Cubin, Wyoming
Heather Wilson, New Mexico
John B. Shadegg, Arizona
Charles W. "Chip" Pickering, Mississippi
Ed Bryant, Tennessee
Robert L. Ehrlich, Jr., Maryland
Steve Buyer, Indiana
Joseph R. Pitts, Pennsylvania
W.J. "Billy" Tauzin, Louisiana,  (Ex Officio)

Democrats
Sherrod Brown, Ohio, Ranking Member
Henry A. Waxman, California
Ted Strickland, Ohio
Tom Barrett, Wisconsin
Lois Capps, California
Ralph M. Hall, Texas
Edolphus Towns, New York
Frank Pallone, Jr., New Jersey
Peter Deutsch, Florida
Anna G. Eshoo, California
Bart Stupak, Michigan
Eliot L. Engel, New York
Albert R. Wynn, Maryland
Gene Green, Texas
John D. Dingell, Michigan (Ex Officio)

Andrea

Thank you to everyone who is working so hard to get the food labeling
improved.

Submitted by:

Nancy
Seattle, WA