From:
lauriejnd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
lauriejnd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:59:23 -0500

I appreciate everyone's responses.
Sorry it has taken me so long to summarize this.  I have been dx'd with severe sleep apnea and although I have started treatment with a CPAP machine (Continuous positive air pressure through a mask over your nose all night), I'm still not having a lot of energy and still have some cognitive problems that makes pulling information together difficult.

Anyway, I called Wendy's (614-764-3100) and they said that the Frosty was taken off the list in the process of reviewing allergens for the 2006 Labeling law.  The malt flavoring is from corn but could possibly be contaminated with other grains during processing.  Further evaluation may find that it's OK.  As of today it's still not on the GF list.

Per the rep. salsa is on the GF list solely because of the distilled vinegar (she doubled checked with the R&D group to make sure)and claimed that it could be from corn, wheat, etc.  There are no other gluten ingredients.  I said most of the celiac organizations feel it's safe but I guess they feel it's more cautious to exclude it.  I wish they would specify so we can decide for ourselves.  I have been OK with the salsa.

So far as the chili is concerned.  Someone had told me that they use hamburgers that aren't used during a specific period of time and that they could be contaminated by the buns.  The customer service rep said that they do use uncooked hamburgers in the chili but that they are very aware of cross contamination issues.  So take that for what it's worth.  I do remember working at a fast food place and things that fell on the floor sometimes are cooked anyways.  Of course eating out is always risky!

General - One person felt that Wendy's quality had degraded since Mr. Thomas died and member of her group had had trouble at Wendy's.  Another person felt that Wendy's couldn't be trusted.

Chili - 3 wrote that they had problems, no one specifically said they were OK with it but I have had it sometimes when I was OK and sometimes not but I could have had a Frosty at that time I was sick.

Frosty - 2 had problems and 2 were OK

Salsa - 3 people and myself have been OK with it.  It really shouldn't be a problem if it's only on the list because of the distilled vinegar.

Laurie
Illinois