From:
Maureen Marx <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 13:07:13 -0700

Thank you so much to everyone who sent me a message.  I tried to answer
individually but just didn't have the time.  My mother's anemia is not iron
or folic acid related so the doctors are mystified.  Many people suggested
trying B12 shots even though doctors had not recommended and I tend to agree.
Because my mother's situation was critical, the doctors decided to do blood
transfusions and she was given five in a 20 hour period.  The next day she
was feeling so well she was released from hospital and her hemoglobin is now
138, almost double what it was before.  No one is sure how long the count
will stay up but Mom is willing to go ahead with three months of B12
injections to see if it helps.  Now instead of spending a lot of time being
tired from not doing anything she is tired from planting her large garden!

In regards to the B12 shots, one person said when they start working and your
hemoglobin cound increases, even if you are not iron deficient you may need
to start taking iron to ensure you don't become deficient.

Many people suggested checking gluten ingestion because it is so easy to miss
something.  So far I think Mom is doing everything she can to avoid gluten.
Thank you again to everyone.

Maureen Marx
Victoria, B.C.