From:
Pippa Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 22:43:43 -0000

Dear All,

I've been hovering in the background for some time now and I've finally
found a query I need to ask your collective help on.  I've been
successsfully on a gf diet for over a year now and since joining this
group I've been quite impressed by both the sense of community displayed
by the states-side list members and the wide variety of gf products
mentioned by these contributors.

In January coming I have the great opportunity of going skiing at Lake
Tahoe in California and I would like to ask list members two queries
regarding this trip.

1)  Has anyone any experience of this resort and recommendations of
places to visit both to eat out and to buy food for home cooking?

2)  What products would you recommend as great treats for the gf gourmet
new to the US market that can be easily found in any US supermarket?
Bearing in mind that I've been living on a largely "gack"-free diet of
home-cooked food for the past year, it would be a great treat to be able
to buy new chocolate bars etc.  For example I heard mention several
months ago on the list of buckwheat and maple breakfast cereal - can
anyone enlighten me on this?  What else should I look out for that you
all particularly enjoy?

The UK food market is plagued by wheat-based, though unspecified generic
"modified starch" which does cut out most pre-prepared food in my
experience and I rarely eat out as I find most establishments in the UK
don't respect coeliac and instead treat you as a 'fussy' customer.  It's
not really been worth the bother.  So foodwise I'm regarding this
generous gift of a holiday on the one hand with trepidation as eating
out is so hard in my experience, and on the other hand with great
excitement as I've seen so much on the list from the US that is
different and more straightforward than for coeliacs in the UK.  Beyond
the food I'm very excited as I've just caught the skiing bug, and I
can't wait to get back on the slopes!  Also I need to lose some of the
weight that I've gained since going gf and I hope skiing might help me
with that!

I look forward to hearing any replies that people fell inspired to send
and I wish you all 'all the best'.  I will summarise.

From an outed eavesdropper!

Pippa

Hull, UK